It might be little early to say this but hell YES i will do it anyhow, Umar Akmal is the Man I will be following and supporting in upcoming years. He truly made my day today with a test 100 at debut. I had followed Inzimam-ul-Haq and then Mohammad Yousuf recently but there wasn’t any in last two or so years, I looked forward to Misbah-ul-Haq but he lost his form and his way too early. (I hope he will get some back with this recent call in tests in New Zealand)
Although I follow every Pakistani player as well as many others and almost all International cricket at least but there must be someone and that too from Pakistan to be found of and for now on it is Umar Akmal. Yes I am mostly obsessed by batsmen but I like bowlers too and these days Aamer and Saeed Ajmal are on my raidar.
Today Umar Akmal was magical, you might not notice it as neutral and will say he was good actually very good but don’t exaggerate it. But hey I have my reasons for this and first of all he is in Pakistan team, thats it. Oh, But I have some logical ones too:
- It was his debut at the age of 19 and first inning in test cricket.
- He cam at crease when Pakistan was 3 down for just 60 odd runs.
- He hit Shane Bond for a four on his first test ball, that too when Bond was creating havoc in Pakistani camp while bowling beautifully at 145+ ks and 151 Km/h once.
- He soon found himself in a position where his team was 5 down at 80 odd runs while trailing New Zealand’s first inning 429 at day 3.
- He was with last recognised batsman fortunately his own brother Kamran Akmal.
- Thats huge pressure on a debutant. But he doesn’t even bothered it. He hit bowlers like Bond and Vettori all around the park.
- He raced to his 50 in just 60 odd balls and reduce the pressure off him and team.
- His aggressive stroke play kept firing Kiwis in check, Vettori was looking pretty defence while he was having a go.
- Then he lead Pakistan to avoid a very possible follow-on and place them in a position to save the match which was slipping away from Pakistan.
- In all this he completed his maiden test hundred at a strike rate of 80 odd. It might not be a match winning ton but it can be a match saving one.
So after all this I think he deserved to be watched out for the future as a Pakistan team supporter. I must wish him all the best and will hope he will do it consistently for Pakistan as they need it more than anything.
In all this don’t forget the roll of Kamran Akmal his elder brother he also played a fighting and supporting knock and also did his job to keep Umar calm as a brother. They were seen in a lot of mid pitch chats a treat to watch between two look a like brothers.
And this match has entered into a very interesting phase probably heading to a draw if there isn’t anything spectacular but yet it will be an entertaining fifth day of test cricket which Test cricket needs often.
And for Pakistanis the last day of the match will be on the day of festivals EID-ul-ADHA and that too in early part of the day when they will get back from their EID prayers and QURBANI and can have fun for couple of hours with family and of course with all the food served. I hope weather will stay good in University Oval.
So HAVE A NICE EID day!